I didn't blog about it, but shortly after coming back to GW2 I finished leveling Clawswitz. I didn't write anything because immediately after Clawswitz hit 80, I felt unsatisfied with the character. Normally, I'd start setting him up with a fashionable outfit. But Clawswitz felt clunky. Charr look hideous in virtually every piece of armor; except the cultural gear, which is a bit too spiked for me. Unable to find a good outfit, I just abandoned him at the end of a jumping puzzle.
With the roll-out of megaservers, I decided to level another warrior to 80 without dying.
Meet Myth of Ragnarok.
Updated challenge ground rules:
- Death is permanent (on death, reroll).
- No getting carried by friends
- No crafting
- No crafting gear with other characters
- No use of the TP
- No food
- No champion train farming to 80
- No experience bonus buffs (Birthday, Killstreak,...)
- No Tomes of Knowledge
- No dungeons
- Any tough fight I run from must be admitted to
- Challenge ends when I'm at 100% world completion, including WvW
While the new challenge greatly restricts access to gear, I decided to allow purchases from karma vendors. This pushes me into a risk-reward situation for getting new pieces of gear, which I enjoy. It also pushes me to unlock more skins for the wardrobe.
Progress so far:
- My first character died while doing Eternal Battlegrounds at 23. I was trying to meet up with a group taking the enemy keep, and ran into two thieves instead. Never had a chance.
- The second character died at level 2, this time in borderlands. I was outfought by a 80 warrior.
Attempt #3 is still alive, now at level 32.
I've already had two terrifying near-death experiences on the character, of course.
The first was at the spider-themed skill challenge in WvW. I decided to keep fighting with 1/20th of my hp left, and got downed. I couldn't rally off the spider-adds, since they were behind the challenge. Fortunately, I pulled off a vengeance-rally.
The second was at the Darkhoof Heights skill point. I was under-leveled, and decided to attack the boss that guards the point. I wasn't paying attention, and barely made it out.
For the moment, at least, I'm still alive.